Cannot believe it's almost Halloween........Our granddaughter has announced her desire to be a ladybug this year --- so of course, Grandma is going to take her shopping tomorrow....... I'm sure we can find something :) Any excuse to pick her up from school and take her to lunch!
What I'd like to share this week that has made a big difference in my life is............learning to play the piano:) My parents started me out at the crazy young age of 5! One thing they never let up on was my need to always find a half hour a day to practice. Practice makes perfect!...Mom would say. When I was 10 and had a pretty good feel of the piano and how to play it, my great Aunt insisted I needed to get rid of my piano and replace it with an organ. I wasn't too excited about that switch -- but am so glad now that Mom and Dad pushed to have both my brother and I involved in various types of music. They also threw in the trumpet when I entered junior high!! During my teen years I played both the organ and piano for church. It was then that I was so thankful for my parents' persistence in my half-hour-a-day practice sessions and in never ever having the word "quit" in my vocabulary!! I do believe that music is a great form of therapy.....something that soothes not just the soul, but also the mind and the body! Professionals have labeled it as a therapy that can have the same effect as yoga or meditation. It's also proven that learning music from an early age increases your self-esteem! I believe that not all people have equal potential ----I mean look at someone like Liberace --- he was a much better piano player than most of us will ever be.....even WITHOUT countless hours of practice and learning theory LOL -- but without HIS input and megathousand of hours practicing and pounding those keys, he never would have never became the sensation he was!!! My piano teacher always told me, "Amateurs practice until they get it right......but Pros practice until they can't get it wrong!" Thanks, Mom and Dad ---- for never letting me quit practicing!!